MASIGNCLEAN101

Blind date: ‘We talked about existential questions, and her cat’

Jamie on Molly

What were you hoping for?
I had no expectations, but to enjoy an evening out. Last time I was in a restaurant was in 2020.

First impressions?
She looks nice! We’ll have a good time this evening.

What did you talk about?
Politics, why Molly went into charity, existential questions and the amazing name of her cat, Abraham.

Any awkward moments?
I was a bit nervous at the start, but it all felt better quickly – Molly is a great person to chat to.

Good table manners?
Definitely.

Best thing about Molly?
Easy to talk to, open-minded.

Would you introduce her to your friends?
Living in different cities may make that a bit difficult.

Describe Molly in three words
Charismatic, pleasant and easy-going.

What do you think she made of you?
Hopefully she thought I was nice, and had a good time.

Did you go on somewhere?
To the nearest station, where we said goodbye.

If it weren’t for social distancing, would you have kissed?
I don’t think either of us felt a romantic spark.

If you could change one thing about the evening, what would it be?
Nothing. It was perfect.

Marks out of 10?
10. I had a great evening.

Would you meet again?
Sure. It would be nice to hang out at some point.

Q&A

Want to be in Blind date?

Show

Blind date is Guardian Weekend magazine’s dating column: every week, two strangers are paired up for dinner and drinks, and then spill the beans to us, answering a set of questions. This runs, with a photograph we take of each dater before the date, in Guardian Weekend magazine (in the UK) and online at theguardian.com every Saturday. It’s been running since 2009 – you can read all about how we put it together here.

What questions will I be asked?
We ask about age, location, occupation, hobbies, interests and the type of person you are looking to meet. If you do not think these questions cover everything you would like to know, tell us what’s on your mind.

Can I choose who I match with?
No, it’s a blind date! But we do ask you a bit about your interests, preferences, etc – the more you tell us, the better the match is likely to be.

Can I pick the photograph?
No, but don't worry: we'll choose the nicest ones.

What personal details will appear?
Your first name, job and age.

How should I answer?
Honestly but respectfully. Be mindful of how it will read to your date, and that Blind date reaches a large audience, in print and online.

Will I see the other person’s answers?
No. We may edit yours and theirs for a range of reasons, including length, and we may ask you for more details.

Will you find me The One?
We’ll try! Marriage! Babies!

Can I do it in my home town?
Only if it’s in the UK. Many of our applicants live in London, but we would love to hear from people living elsewhere.

How to apply
Email blind.date@theguardian.com

Was this helpful?

Thank you for your feedback.

Molly on Jamie

What were you hoping for?
An excuse to get out of my pyjamas. It wouldn’t hurt to find the love of my life while I’m at it.

First impressions?
He was super willing to jump right in with no awkwardness.

What did you talk about?
We kept it to small talk like Brexit, morality, gender inequality.

Any awkward moments?
I started a conversation with the people next to us who had lots of questions about what we were doing. Nothing more awkward than a stranger asking if you were nervous while you’re still on the date.

Good table manners?
Amazing. I was definitely the barbarian: a year locked in seems to have removed all my table manners.

Best thing about Jamie?
He was open and willing to have big chat.

Would you introduce him to your friends?
Yeah. Jamie would get on with them.

Describe Jamie in three words
Open, good-hearted, thoughtful.

What do you think he made of you?
I think I came across as passionate and, hopefully, kind.

Did you go on somewhere?
We didn’t, but we were the last ones in the restaurant.

If it weren’t for social distancing, would you have kissed?
I don’t think so, but a hug would have been nice.

If you could change one thing about the evening, what would it be?
As I got there first, I found myself at least a drink and a half ahead, which I think made him feel he had to drink faster. Drinking pressure is not a nice date feeling.

Marks out of 10?
8, solid date.

Would you meet again?
We did exchange numbers but it was more because that felt like the thing to do.

Jamie and Molly ate at Flora Indica, London SW5.

Fancy a blind date? Email blind.date@theguardian.com



from Lifestyle | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3xY19we
via IFTTT
Share This :
OK